Dietitian’s Dish – April 29, 2019
Taco Tuesdays – Rebooted!
Tacos offer a simple but versatile option for a quick weeknight menu. Reboot, with better-for-you ingredients that offer a good balance of protein, fats, and carbohydrates; along with ample amounts of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Choose a 6-inch, soft shell, whole grain tortilla
- Make a shell from cauliflower
Focus on the fillings:
- Include protein (lean meat and poultry, seafood, beans, tofu)
- Pile on the veggies
- Include fresh herbs and greens
- Choose whole grains
Top it off:
- Drizzle calcium-rich plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream)
- Add guacamole or diced avocado
- Garden-fresh salsa easily adds more veggies
Shrimp and Zucchini Tacos
- 2 Tbsps. canola oil, divided
- 1 large zucchini, cut into half-moons
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Kosher salt & ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled & deveined, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Corn or flour tortillas (6-inch)
1.Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and garlic. Cook until softened (6-8 mins.), stirring often. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
2.Wipe out the skillet; Heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and chili powder; then season with salt and pepper. Stir often, cooking for about 4 minutes until shrimp pieces are cooked through.
3.Serve with warm tortillas and optional toppings (garden-fresh salsa, diced avocado, guacamole, cilantro, sour cream, etc.).