Lean beef cuts have lower calories than some plant-sources.Protein (25g) – Not always equal
- Quinoa – 3 cups (666 calories)
- Peanut butter – 6 Tbsps. (564 calories)
- Black beans – 1-3/4 cups (382 calories)
- Edamame – 1-1/2 cups (284 calories)
- Lean beef – 3 oz. (154 calories)
Beef is also a good/excellent source of 10 essential nutrients (i.e. body cannot make them).
- Protein – builds muscle
- Niacin – supports metabolism
- Vitamins B6 & B12 – protects brain function
- Iron – helps use oxygen
- Zinc – builds immunity
- Choline – nervous system protection
- Phosphorus – bone and teeth strength
- Selenium – antioxidant protection
- Riboflavin – converts food to energy
Kung Pao Beef
1/2cup Kung Pao stir-fry sauce
1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper
3cups chopped vegetables (broccoli, peppers, carrots, mushrooms, etc.)
1/2cup unsalted roasted peanuts
1.Combine Kung Pao sauce, water and red pepper in small bowl. Place beef steaks and sauce mixture in large nonstick skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 45-60 minutes or until beef is fork-tender.
2.Remove beef; keep warm. Add vegetables to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, covered, 7-9 minutes or until just tender, stirring once. Stir in peanuts.
3.Serve steaks with vegetable mixture over rice, if desired.